The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill
Well it's that time again. Election time. If you're like me, you're wishing the Supreme Court hadn't struck down the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform act because we're now stuck with a million more commercials than we use to be.
The problem I have with these commercials is:
- They're negative
- They make promises the candidate can't implement without 100's of votes in the state legislature
- Uninformative: i.e. does candidate X support abortion? Yes/No
Because of this, I decided to do my own research (you know, like a good voter should?) and see where the candidates stand on what I like to call "black & white issues. These issues are typically polarizing and seldom, people fall in the middle on them.
I tried to avoid issues like healthcare, education, jobs & cancer (nobody supports cancer, people you're preaching to the choir)...since these issues any candidate with a chance, will say they "support it". The only real difference is how they support it.
|Scott Walker||Tom Barrett|
|Abortion||Opposes ||Supports   |
|Assisted Suicide||Unknown||Semi-Supports |
|Death Penalty||Supports ||Opposes |
|Freedom Of Speech||Semi-Opposes ||Supports |
|Gay Marriage||Opposes ||Semi-Supports |
|Going Green||Semi-Supports ||Supports  |
|Gun Control||Opposes  ||Semi-Supports  |
|Immigrant Rights||Opposes ||Semi-Supports |
|Medical Marijuana||Opposes ||Supports |
|Separation Of Church & State||Unknown||Supports  |
The results weren't too surprising with both candidates, for the most part, sticking with their party lines.
Further Reading & Sources
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Asks Both Candidates
- C-SPAN Political Debate Between Scott Walker & Tom Barrett
- VoteSmart.org Profile on Tom Barrett
- OnTheIssues.org on Tom Barrett
- Issues Taken From Official Website Of Tom Barrett
- Issues Taken From Official Website Of Scott Walker